Tuesday, February 03, 2004

The Talk of the Town....

Vol. 3: Dime Store Lament

Sally, wonít you see me?
I know I canít tango or feel my way through darkness
but I can cook omelets.
I can put sausage in them if you want, honey.
Anything.
I heard that youíre thinking of going to the ball
with a boy with a fancy car that can play loud music.
Canít my mandolin please you?
I put on an inch nearly every day.
Iíll be there soon, I promise.
One time I saw you kiss a boy underneath the cottonwood tree.
The seeds were floating through the air and it made me sneeze.
But the setting sun and the summer romance, it made me cry.
I told you it was my allergies, but it wasnít.
It was the baseball game and the country music and how far
I was from it all.
Iíve offered you my fanciest poetry and the whitest posies.
Piano promises and polite innocence are all.
Iím sorry.

From the Cock of the Walk....

No comments: