Saturday, February 28, 2004

It's All About Who You Know....

Yeah, life, work, everything, is all about who you know..that's why it's good to have so many diverse friends. Everyone's always trying to get breaks, get their breaks, and are more than grateful when they find that special interest person who can help them out. The words, "hey man, I got a friend who can get us/you the hook up" Those are the words we long for. And actually we want that hook-up to be ours so we will continue to work with that third party hook-up, working through the middle man until it's a direct link..Hey it's all about the more people you know, and the more they can better you...it's everywhere...

well I'm having this experience at my new job. It started with a busser..and granted that's the bottom level of "hook-ups" you can get, I was happy with this little attachment. The kid reminds me of Mike Fisher, really he does. I think it all got started one night I wasn't busy with tables so I was busting other ones I walked by..Well it just so happened to be in his section. And whenever bussers see a server busting a table they get up on it and help them out or completely take over...Well he had a couple tables in his area and I kept going back to help him..So now whenever we are working, he'll come by and ask if I need anything, tables busted, wiped down, anything, even when it's not his section....I was happy with this..

then my next achievement would be getting the hook up with the hosts/hostesses/hospitality...yeah that's a weird mixture right there...Let's see you got the group of young girls 17-18, the two gay guys, and then a handful of older girls and ladies I guess you could call them....So for me, I got three of the older group working for me, the oldest of the three tries, but confuses my section up with others, it's alright, she gets me tables..The other two are alright..I don't know how much they've been working for me though..they kinda scare me in fact, always trying to give me a hug and such..yeah scary...And I've got one of the gay guys on my side..I swear he reminds me of mike jung, so I'm good with him...and then I got three of the younger girls on my side, although I think they are a little to out there to actually be on someone's side..either that or too whorey and are just playing everyone..whatever the case may be, I still got to work on them if I want tables...

then my final most success has come in the past two days...getting with the Expo's, they are the ones who get the food together, all the orders, and sends it out to the table..they have the direct connection with the cooks. Well mainly I got the connection with one, and am continuing to work on two more....but it's basically easy, all I have to do is run food for them and I'm good. It's great too because I can just walk in the expo line and ramble to this one person, she understands what I'm saying, and boom, I got my fry refill while others are standing there waiting...it's great...

so yeah..I'm getting the much needed hook-ups at work, making my work a little easier, and in full circle I help them out some how...I don't know, as Vince would say, it's my charm that wins them over...Hey, I can be charming when I need to be, especially when I'm new to you, I'm damned charming...A little honey can go a long way, so yeah..That's my story...

No comments: