Tuesday, January 27, 2009

SNOW DAY Part 1

more like blow day...
more like blow me...

it's kinda like a two-four-one...but it's really only two-eight...

it all starts with yesterday, err tuesday...i never got to talk about tuesday, and the only reason i note this is because tuesday was actually worth talking about due to the fact it was a decent day, or night rather...in the end...

of course it started out on a bad note, again with the no sleeping til late/can't get out of bed funk i've been in lately..which completely throws my day out of whack by not giving me enough time to do what i want to do in my day..whatever...so i sit and stew for a better part of the afternoon until it is time for me to leave for work..it's been snowing all day and my car is covered...

i'm leaving for work a little earlier than i normally would, or rather, i left my apartment earlier than i normally would..in the end i realize i should have 'left' a lot sooner..that way i would have not been late...

so i brush off the snow and do all that jazz, and amidst the digging out my car, i go in to start it - therein enters my problem...she turns over, but she won't stay started....now, i just bought a brand new battery last month, and i filled her up with a full tank last night..soooo what gives...

i sit there, and i crank and i crank...holding forward that key, hearing it turn, hearing the motor chug and chug...sometimes she'll take and i'll release the key and after a short few seconds, like a last breath, she putts to a deathly calm. i pop the hood, look inside - god only knows what for - i'm no mechanic, and it's too cold for me to check anything..so i jiggle this and that and continue to scrap off some ice...

i get back in the car, i try some more..i probably spend a good twenty minutes trying, taking small breaks here and there...cursing...then, like from a scene from back to the future as i bang my head on the steering wheel...she starts..kinda....i apply the gas as i turn her over...it works and i release the key, giving just the right amount of pressure on the gas pedal...as i ease off i can feel her start to die..too much, same results...sooo i basically had to feel out the car, knowing what she wanted when she wanted...after about a minute of this toying around i knew she could go on her own (off my life support) i released the gas and she started idling high..but i knew she was running right...

i made the call to work saying i would be late...honestly, had i not gotten the car started i probably would have just called off....given the way the weather was, the way it was not gonna stop snowing, i figured there was gonna be a lot of cancellations for the evening and me being there would just agitate me more...

i get to work thirty minutes late, just as preshift was ending..nobody questioned it at all..i found out what section i was in and went to work...as i was detailing my section and setting it up for the right amount of guests i found a penny nearby one of my tables...it was heads up..so i snatched it up and called it my lucky penny....how this would soon to be plausible...

from that moment on my night picked up...i at one point in the night was running five, yes five tables..a single, two deuces, a three, and a five...granted that was my entire night for covers, it was all i needed...one of my two-tops finished out at $600...and all my tables ignored the "Dirty Thirty" menu and ordered off the real menu..well, all but one..the five top..which were supposed to be the ones to order off the regular menu..such is life i guess....

now i was running around frantic, but keeping my server cool..i mean i'm always quick with my movements, but nobody can ever tell when i am truly weeded..not even me.....with five tables running, all at different courses needing different things and attention, i was still able to run food for people and do a wine presentation to a table..are you kidding me?! on top of all that, my SA sucked balls...i swear i could have done better without him, because...there wouldn't have been a difference..

all in all i ended the night with 1600 in sales, not too shabby if you ask me...i'll take that...and i'll especially take that on a random tuesday night....even more so during the "Dirty Thirty" menu....i enjoyed the part when one of our crappy servers that was in a section near me tried to take a fourth table and soapy told him he couldn't even run the three he had correctly, and i got to take the table...and then i told him, thanks for five!

i had just finished my cash out and took a moment in the office to unwind before i headed out as soapy and i would discuss how bad that server Jude really was...just then a server came in to tell us that the 10:00 reservation was partially arrived..and they were going to wait for their others before they ordered..but get this..after they placed their order they were going to go back to their rooms and have us call them when the food was ready...mind you, it's 1033, they are already 33 minutes late, and technically we are closed..(in reality we say we close at 1030, but as a service to our guests we extend those hours fifteen minutes after what we say...i know i know...why cant anyone tell the truth anymore?)

The chef is in the office and overhears all this as he is talking to his wife..he starts to make comments about how much he loves his life while mentioning something about putting a knife through someone's throat and him laughing at them...ahh, cook humor....he asks the server to get him a drink from the bar..this is about the time i decide to exit, and as i leave the office doors i, in my best chef impersonation, (as he does this weird high pitched noise when mocking people) say, "this place makes me drink" - soapy erupts into laughter as i hear chef muttering to himself...tonight, was a good night..











"hey do you know who my SA is back here - Oh it's me - Oh, well then that explains why i had to greet and water all my tables so far..." ~whoops

No comments: