Thursday, February 08, 2007

Day 25

Jenny Was a Friend of Mine...
Wait, I already said that...

Well then in that case..goodbye.

Today was a day of mixed emotions to say the least...but it didn't necessarily start off that way...you know I did my usual, not waking up in time for check in, but just relaxing while I could get it in and then went off to work for lunch.

Well here's a story for ya...at lunch I was one of 6 scheduled to work the main dining room, and that's where my trouble would take place..i did my thing, picking up trays, taking them back, you know, whatever I was supposed to be doing...then, then the kicker....so I load up my right arm with four trays stacked up on one another, and as I put that fourth tray on another lady at the same table tells me she is finished, so I go to grab her tray with my left hand and was going to head back..well, as I grab a hold of the tray in the center to pick it up, she starts adjusting the items on the tray, the main thing being the addition of a full glass of water to the very upper rightmost corner..this threw off the distribution of weight on the tray and as I had it only inches off of the table I saw that top corner bend like nobody's business..

i tried to put down the tray a quick as possible foreseeing danger, but it was all too late, the glass of water spilt over the side to the right..landing in someone else's Caesar salad and on their lap..the girl looked up at me and acknowledged me as the same guy who spilled a drink on her in the wheelhouse a couple weeks ago..i felt absolutely stupid at this point...how in the world could I spill on someone let alone spill on them on two separate random occasions...

I did everything in my power to win her over, all my charm in the world didn't seem to sway her, she was upset..and this time it was only water slightly on her lap..i cracked jokes, everything..nothing seemed to help..i even had people go over to talk to her for me just to make sure she wasn't going to hate me forever...whatever

So after lunch I did the workout thing, knocking it out early today for whatever reason..when I got out of the shower back at the room jenny was waiting for me, and she brought some news along with...she had seen the list of names and ships people were going to...she would be going on the America, thus leaving tonight, and I would be placed on the Aloha, and therefore leaving tomorrow night...

This posed as a doubly bad thing, maybe even triple depending on how extreme you wanted to go with it...but it really meant that this would be our last night together for at least 20 weeks...25 days in the making, all wiped away by the placement of names on a list. She is scheduled to leave tonight...make the most of a bad situation..but it's only a bad situation if you left it be one...

The time would come for me to work the dinner shift, and jenny would be graduating at that time as well..i worked til 630 in the wheelhouse, along with many others as the main dining room was closed for a special VIP SIU dinner or something..that girl, we will call her gina, the one spilt the drinks on was present in the dining room and I made it point to not go by her..and had others who knew her talk to her about the incident earlier..she was calmer now, but I still wanted to win her over if it was possible at all...

Jenny was off washing cloths and packing, so when I called her room on several different occasions she was not around...amiee got ahold of me and wanted to use the lappy to see if there was a way to check her MMD process online..we went down to the now deserted wheelhouse to get online...the internet was not being our friend and was rather sluggish..

Right before 8 liz came over with a heaping plate full of shrimp..she had worked that special VIP dinner and was allowed to partake in the leftovers...when amiee saw the shrimp her mouth started watering..so liz went back and brought two huge plates full of shrimp for the both of us...as we were finishing them off the crowd for sandwiches appeared as did jenny.

Jenny was saying her goodbyes to everyone possible as we were downstairs..then she had amiee and I pose for the re-take of the greatest picture every taken and now lost..i don't know if it was as great, but damn...as we were posing we started giggling and apparently got too loud because I'm stupid and we got yelled at...after that amiee went back to her room and jenny and I went to play ping-pong for the title of grand master piney point champion of the world..err something like that...

As always, on a good note, she won the first game, but it was actually very close...i returned by winning the next two games..she thought we were finished right then and there but I said let's keep playing...then she somehow pulled off a two in a row win over me, thus tying the series...i think she wanted to call it quits there but I wanted a definite winner...so we continued, me a little upset about losing two in a row..

I came back and won the next game..but I told jenny you have to win by two, just like in the game, to win the series..so we played on...and this game jenny absolutely lost whatever game she had..everything went down the toilet..she was stuck on six points for the longest time...the series got to 10 to 20, game point for me after I biffed my last serve...to make it competitive and have the pressure all on me for some sort of crazed victorious win, I threw the next 5 vollies allowing the score to be 15-20, my serve...i placed the ball in my hand, pulled back the paddle and smacked it hard at her..too hard in fact..it would have been a re-serve had jenny not hit it, but due to her 'amazing' cat like reflxes she hit the ball, and lost the not only the point, the game, but the greatest series ever..hard fought yes..i did my victory lap, hopped the net, ran over to her, picking her up and spinning her around in my arms..

we headed back to the room, i had asked her to do me a favor before she left...i asked to make it possible to go to sleep at midnight, and have her leave at one for her trip as planned, but do it as i slept...not to wake me, just to leave (i know, how random..), but i didn't want it to be goodbye..i didn't want there to be a goodbye, i wanted to go to sleep as if i were going to see her in the morning, something...so we went to the room..we did our best to fall asleep, but we haven't gone to bed that early ever so it was difficult...

i had to have ben raining in the room or something, or my eyes were just watering before i went to sleep because jenny made a comment about tears or something, i don't know what she was talking about...though she did start to tear up after that...it was shortly after 1245 we had our moment of silence and i tried my best to go to sleep...well it never worked, i heard jenny's alarm go off...i heard her get up out of the bed, gather her things, kiss me on the cheek, whisper into my ear, and go out the door...as she exited i called out softly goodbye and then i heard the door latch click...










“I’ll see you in another life, when we are both cats..”

No comments: