Friday, May 22, 2009

Excitement Through Nothingness

i got my swim trunks...
and my flippie floppies

after a night like last night, i needed this day off...

i wish i would have woken up in btown, like how one of the twelve plans we had last night we had ending...but no, i have to make the trip down there today for a haircut - why do i get my hair cut all the way down in btown? well to be honest i like the girl who cuts my hair, despite all the difficulties my hair has she knows the intricacies of it, she's a goof, and she reminds me of an ex, so she's cute - that and i'm a hardcore republican who doesn't like change, lol.

other than the haircut my day is jam-packed full of, nothing...all the other roommates are at work, and so i have another friday to myself. these are the mini-vacations i need..whole house to myself, i can play my music, at whatever volume i want without trying to drown out something else in the background, i can walk around naked, i can do whatever...i usually utilize this time catching up on blogs, reading, and just relaxing. since today is a scorcher in the upper 80's and it's also opening day for the pool at the clubhouse, i decide to mosey on down there for a change of pace.

granted it's now 5pm and the hottest part of the day is now over i figure i'll have the place to myself, it is a friday night after all - people will be home getting ready for tonight's wild events. as i approach the gate to the pool i see a family gathering their belongings, looks like my deductions were spot on. i smile and nod as i pass them, and claim a spot on the opposite side of the pool. i make camp on the reclining chairs, setting up my ipod on a table i drug over to me, along with my gatorade bottle, and after getting settled in i begin reading the "waiter rant" from where i last left off.

as mentioned before i like reading the waiter rant because it awakes my inner dialogue. about halfway through the book i start talking in my head and processing actions 'aloud' as if i was a character in a book..i like to think it helps with my writing and not that i am going crazy.

it's not long before two others join me, a man and a woman, a couple i am assuming, in their twenties. they stay on the opposing side from my position, throwing down their bags and laying out their blankets on the chairs. the girl sets up shop in one of the chairs while the guy goes for a quick dip in the pool. once he feels he is fully watered down he climbs out of the pool and heads back over to his lady friend who also is reading. he then lays out on the reclined chair and places a towel over his face, covering his eyes.

the juxtaposition of the two intrigue me...are they a couple, and if so, how? i see an overweight, pale, average slum joe next to a tiny framed, tan, good looking girl. my first reaction is as it always is, "it's not fair". now i'll say that to the day i die, no matter who i am or am not dating at the time, when i see pretty girls and lackluster guys i think it's not right..

i know this is random, but whenever i was living in a dorm setting, if i ever heard one of my neighbors having sex i would always picture it to be the most beautiful girl in the world with the ugliest guy in the world, and i would get angry - it didn't matter if i was getting laid by six different girls at the same time, i would still be upset in my head.

i can't help but to people watch and the position of my chair versus where the couple is located makes it obvious that i am looking...but i'm not looking at her, rather i'm simply observing her. within moments of my head turned in her direction i see her eyes pull off of her book and over to me..it's easier for her, i'm right in her line of sight, oh if only i hadn't repositioned the chair when i sat down. i do my best to cover, glancing around as if i am just lost in a thought..then i get lost in a thought..

i think to myself about how they met, assuming again they are a couple. did they meet through friends..nah..or was it one of those random hook-ups at a bar or party that just over extended it's stay...how many of those relationships really work out...if you fuck on the first date, rather if you fuck on the first night of knowing each other, what is the probability of that relationship going further...you know, i don't ever remember my parents telling me the story of how they first met to include "i was really wasted at this club, and this drunk chick with this killer rack stumbles up to the bar next to me for another drink...i mean i was pretty shitfaced by then so my judgment was a little off but her ass had it going on so i started to hit on her..and then after the next journey song we were heading back to my place to where i was giving it anyway she wanted it...then you know, happily ever after"

and don't even get me started on the bit about not being able to find good girls in bars because it's been done before (superbad) and you know it's absolutely true. Mr Tom Waits says 'you don't meet nice girls in coffee shops' but i don't know about that...unless you go to those stupid indie coffee shops, where you have those really bitchy feminist girls...then yeah i'll agree...ughh, where to go to meet a nice girl....and as for work relationships, shut the fuck up.

i'm still in a daze and looking in the direction of the girl, err couple. i gather myself and look back at my book, only a few more pages left before the end of the chapter....i finish reading those final remaining paragraphs and then i decide to close up shop. quickly i pack my item back into my bag and run home, i hate being around people when i'm trying to relax.










"Hell is other people....except for when you make them your heaven"

6 comments:

Amber said...

For the record, I've had plenty of long-term relationships that start off as totally drunken random hook-ups at bars. In fact, I consider it a claim to fame that I've never had a one night stand... all the people I think are going to be drunken one night stand wind up as relationships. Peter and I dated almost 8 months, and that totally started as a blacked out sex session. I don't even remember being introduced.

Jangus said...

i'm sorry amber, i forgot to exclude prostitution, my bad

Amber said...

jerk...

Now we're definitely never fooling around.

Mama Melch said...

A married couple we're friends with met at a bar & hooked up the 1st night. Dreams do come true. Hahaha!

Jangus said...

call me old fashioned, a hopeless romantic, or just straight thinking...but that ain't right...nice girls don't go out to the bars and get trashed every time, nice girls don't fuck on the first meeting, and to have that as your foundation of your relationship/marriage/whatever be formed from that...well, that's just asking for faults...i'm glad people still have values...

Amber said...

cause you're just a pillar of virtue, right?