Friday, December 15, 2006

Best Win Ever…
..oh, and lots of drama…

Seriously the best comeback in sports history happened last night

Let’s get right down to it, matt drapper was hosting a little “Finals are Over/I’m Graduating” Party at his place, and naturally TJ and I were invited – rather this was one of TJ’s infamous moments of, “Oh yeah, forgot to tell you but we’re going over to Drapper’s tonight”, and because I carry absolutely no clought in this relationship I just roll with the punches.

So we get to Drapper’s with the pretense that if it’s just Matt jerking off with Adam and his girlfriend we would be leaving at 2 – which gave us 22 minutes…luckily however the party was not a bust (well, not yet)…we were greeted and almost instantly challenged to Beer Pong Vs the House Champs – drapper and his friend…

TJ won the series of Rock/Paper/Scissors, which ultimately decided who was to go first in the match for the title of the world. Our team name – The Jedi’s, and the irony of the teammates would come from our attire – TJ was wearing his Ohio State Sweatshirt and I my UofM hoodie..ohhh the comradery. The game got off to a promising start, TJ striking first making it one cup one the second round, but it was answered right back by the House Champs. The House Champs would then go on an unabated streak that finally ended with my first score of the game, but by then it was our 8 Cups to their 4 Cups, and both TJ and Drapper had lost interest in the game…but the other kid and I decided to continue on in the spirit of the game and drinking – I was willing to go down in a ball of flames before throwing in the towel…

The game continued on at a slow pace, with both the other kid and I not making any of our shots, but that would soon change and as would The Jedi’s ‘Luck’, or rather force. All of a sudden the game clicked for me and I utilized the force to hone in on the skill of throwing a ping-pong ball into a plastic cup. I was starting to make one ball every round, with the other shot just barely missing – one literally went into the cup and bounced right out, robbed – and it was usually on the first shot I got it. In four rounds of play the Champs (with Drapper coming into play every now and then to finish me off) were able to match me on three accounts – that made the score Jedi’s=4 Champs=1…and this was when the true champions were born. It was my turn, I fired the first ball and made it (as I said it was wasn’t uncommon for me to make the first shot in this series), but almost immediately I fired the second ball. The other kid didn’t even have his hand out of the first cup when the other ball went in. I was ecstatic, not only did I just bring the game within reach, making it a close game 2-1, but by making both shots Team Jedi regained possession of the two balls. I ran to TJ to tell him of the news and gave him a ball to throw.

Happy to know that we still had a chance at victory he threw and made it in! Seeing him come off the bench in this clutch moment and knocking out the first cup, I passed on my ball to him for another shot. Feeling the pressure he threw it up and it just missed. The Champs now had a chance to knock out their last cup and shut us out. With a 1 – 1 game a lot of options were available to us that were running threw my mind. Even with a virtual make by the Champs we still had some outs to tie it up. Drapper was first to throw getting really into the game now since he saw how badly their lead was blown. His toss was up but it was way over shot! TJ and I were doing everything possible to distract the Champs attention as they threw. The other kid threw right after Drapper and his bounced shortly before the cup! Now TJ and I both had the balls and were ready. TJ again fired first with a rocket straight shot and it went in! We went into a premature celebration forgetting about the possibilities the other team still had. Drapper took one of the balls to attempt to make in, but missed! Then someone mentioned how I still had yet to throw from our turn when TJ knocked out the last cup.

So there I was, the pressure was on, with this shot I could shut out The Champs possibility of an overtime. If I were to miss the Champs would still have the other kid as an option to make the shot, putting us in sudden death, but the Champs would not be able to win in that round with a miss from me seeings how Drapper had thrown in an attempt to tie moments ago. So shifting over to my right in the doorframe and pushing back the crowd in the kitchen with my left hand I raised my right hand up holding the ball between my thumb and index finger…knowing I didn’t have much time before those behind me in the kitchen would get restless as drunks get and stumble their way out and into me I fired a shot similar to the fashion that of TJ’s…it was a bullet and it was dead on! With that shot we sealed our victory and the celebration began. I jumped up and down twice, with the second bounce being caught in midair by TJ, where he began to hump me against the wall..we were victors and it was amazing.

Then the drama happened..something with someone….drunk people who like to start things that were forgotten and put rightfully so in the past…So TJ, Joe, Steph, and myself all departed to Yogi’s, leaving the drama behind and going somewhere else where we weren’t the enemy..

After all that, my night came to a close..well kinda..i got back to the apartment and watched Swingers with commentary then went over to the nice rec center to read and type this up…










"I made her a drink!”

No comments: