Sunday, May 07, 2006

Last Days..
and tears at work..

An overly emotional day for a lot of reasons...

I don't know how I did it, but not only did I make it through the day, I was on time and nobody died. After getting only three hours of sleep from what became an even more fucked up night/morning I was back at it, working it OG style. I made a quick stop at Wal-Mart to pick up the pictures I dropped off before I left for Cedar Point and then jumped over to the Garden. I worked the morning shift in the bar with TJ, it was a good morning, we talked, everyone loved the pictures, I hated all my tables for tipping me 10%, but you know, it happens. Cuts were made and Cassidy and I went over to Subway to have lunch, which was different because I have never actually hung out with Cassidy, other than that one time she and her boyfriend came out to Comedy Caravan, back when people actually showed up..

After my hour break I went back to the OG and that's when all the confusion happened..so last week Amanda asked me if I could pick up her ToGo shift on Sunday night...well I was scheduled to work as a server all day..so she came up with some brilliant scheme that if she were to get my serving shift covered could I take her shift..so I said not a problem, as long as it gets approved by a manager..I mean technically I have never done togo before...so last night she calls me to tell me someone picked up the shift, ok....but the managers are really iffy on this whole thing and one person was going to allow it, the other said probably not..so they took Adam H off the floor and put him on Togo, therefore making him work straight through...I felt absolutely horrible for the whole thing but he said he wasn't mad at me...

so I picked up his section and that was fine, made better money in the night than in the morning, and my last last table knowing heather and our old manager Karl..I sold them two bottles of wine, to two drinking guests, amazing I know - the best part was they had a GSS..but the bad news to the night was a couple tables before the cool one I received my first ever complaint from a guest...

so as my story goes...I had a table of four, they were trashy people but whatever, not until they piss me off do they receive less than par service...so whatever, the food is up and Ian, em effing Ian runs out their food...Ian is one of two head culinary assistants, he's wanting to become a manager, has been to several openings and in fact he just came back from one, so his chefs jacket was full of pins...anyways, he runs out the food..they are talking to him about the pins, I get a pepper mill and come back...now the gentleman at the table is upset, he tells me his chicken alfredo looks like it does when he takes it him and microwaves it, it "has balls" (????) so I offer to get him some alfredo to freshen it up. he wasn't satisfied by that response, and just sat there with a dumb look on his face, then the other people at the table tell me he wants a fresh one, so I saw ok, and as I start to grab for it he makes his noise saying no, I'll just keep it, I know what happens, I'm not giving it to you, just get the alfredo....now I am in shock, but I comply cursing him out in the alley...

So I bring him the alfredo and things seem fine..I check back a few moments later and he pushes the dish at me telling me he is through with it, so I take it away telling him I will bring him a brand new one, he tells me he doesn't want one but I insist on it to make things better, then that's when he cops an attitude and gets loud saying he does not want another one and he wants that one taken off his bill..so I comply and walk away..and even though he has insulted me I make check backs on the table, but no eye contact towards the asshole, and I can tell something is awry in the air because every time I do check back they get shitty with me, and as I pull away from the table they start snickering...

so as I am boxing up their food I overhear them talking about how one of them went here for lunch and got everything comped, and the other got this for free because they weren't greeted fast enough and so forth..and I am standing there thinking, I am right here dumbasses, I will put this fork through your fucking eyes....

so I drop the check off, and do my standard routine, check back and the book hasn't been touched..I wait and wait, the book finally opens, but no money is inside, then after a bit there is, and when I check on them they tell me they are still talking, so I leave it...minutes pass and I am sat with a six top. So as I am going through with my greet and wine presentations I noticed the asshole get up and storm past me, all I can think is, oh, I bet they are ready to pay now...five minutes later I see randy got to the table and they get up and leave..so I go to the table to pick up whatever I can I notice the receipt, everything was comped...on a fifty dollar meal, the entire bill was now zip..not only that but they left me three dollars...

well I tried to get to randy to figure out what happened but he peaced out right after that, I was more outraged at the fact they complained than the tip, believe me...later I got together with matt who explained what the table told randy, and I was furious. in all my time serving I have never received a complaint from a table, if anything it's the exact opposite, people telling me how I've been the best server they have ever had....well, there was that one time my stalker emailed a ficticious and malicious complaint against me in my closing days at RR to get me fired before I moved to Bloomington, or the one time a group of on break employees sat behind a table I was serving and using unprofessional language, I got in trouble for that...but me personally...no..bullshit....

So as I am wrapping up my evening I notice April gathering her things, looking like she is getting ready to leave. so I approach her and tell her she can't leave without saying goodbye to me, where she replies with she wasn't leaving just yet, and that was not her intentions..so moments later we find each other in the alley and we begin to say our goodbyes, joking around saying how we'll never see each other again hoping the best for each other, yadda yadda yadda...so we embrace and I turn to walk away saying goodbye to which she comes back with, "have a nice life" - and I naturally start to agree, saying yeah you too, but mid-sentence the weight of that statement hits me..I stand there in utter shock and start to tear up..

now that phrase has been said to me before, but people would just say it, there was always a way of communication, whether be random visits, writing, or calling one another, simply having a cell phone number keeps a hope alive..but this was final, this was it, over and done with. and although we only knew each other for a month or so, not really hanging out or anything, not making an impact on each other's lives, knowing full well that this was it, I'll never see this person again, it is certain..that's what got to me, it's just as if she died.

So after work I went home to change and then made it on over to Upland to grab a drink with a small crew..nothing overly exciting happened, we just all sat around talking about shit that pisses us off, nothing out of the ordinary..and not only did I have a decent time at upland for once, I randomly found a beer I liked, Amber..go figure.

there was supposed to be stuff going on afterwards, but I had made plans with Andrea, she wanted to talk to me about the things that have been bothering her - and for the record I received so much shit for actually caring, or offering to lend an ear for someone...I'll be a martyr in every situation I suppose. so I got home, cooked a pizza and shortly after Andrea came over..she wanted me to put Who Framed Roger Rabbit in as she talked, so I complied....so told me everything and let me just say, intense...I would be in tears as well....I don't remember much, but somehow admist all that I passed out - I would laugh it was while she was talking to me - I did wake up later, somewhere around 4, a little disturbed by the fact I fell asleep not really remembering it, and that Andrea was asleep as well....but I stayed up to put things away, straighten up, and whatever else, I was wide awake..but somehow Andrea stayed asleep through all that and I covered her up on the futon and passed out.











"Have a nice life..."

No comments: