Sunday, November 20, 2011

I'm Giving It Nothing


I couldn't eat my dinner, so I finished my drink instead. The bland meal matching that of the conversations at the end of the night. I starred into my glass as I swirled the melting ice around - it reminded me of you and how you used to chew on your ice. In fact, you were on my mind the entire evening, I just didn't want to acknowledge it at first. But I grew weary fighting it off and let my guard down. How I wished you would just do the same.

As I walked to my car I thought about calling you, but came up with an excuse not to. Of course once I got home that excuse was no longer valid. I sat on my couch, holding my phone, starring off once again. Your contact information was right there in front of me, yet you couldn't have been further from actually being with me. I wanted to call so badly, but even if I got through what would I say..that I missed you, this is Hell...I'd just be repeating myself and telling you things you already knew.

The odds were against me. You probably made sure I couldn't make these midnight confessions to you and blocked my number again. I don't blame you for that, wait maybe I do, maybe that's what I want to tell you; how foolish it is to try and go against the forces of nature. I toss aside the phone and go to my computer, figuring an email would have a better chance of getting to you. I hit "Compose" in an ironically fashion as the last thing I ever am when thinking like this is "composed." I add in your name and that's as far as I can get. Time passes and I continue to sit and stare at the screen - at an undeveloped message just like us.

No comments: